If you're Deaf or Hard of Hearing, you may need to prepare a few things before the semester starts rolling into top gear.
- Hopefully by now, you've got all your books in order and tuition is ready to hand in.
- Visit your college or university's Disability Resource Centre to make sure you have all your accommodations in place. These accommodations could include sign language interpreters, oral interpreters, notetakers, and/or FM Systems
- You may need to get a Verification of Permanent Disability Form for the new school year and get your doctor and audiologist to fill in the appropriate sections.
- If you have hearing aids and/or an FM System, you may want to book an appointment with your audiologist or dispenser to check everything over and make sure things are working for the semester. Because once your in the midst of midterms, you're not going to have time to visit the clinic.
- Remember to get to your classrooms early so that you can find the right seat for you. It may be the one right at the front or one with the best sightline of the instructor. Use your best judgement.
If you need to get things done, you better get moving. You only have a few more days to get things together. Good luck in the new school year!